As I have protested before, I am pretty useless at sewing. I can do basic straight lines but otherwise any item of clothing I try to make, comes out all weird and twisted and pretty unwearable. Every time I finish making one of my unwearable masterpieces I usually declare to my family that never again will I attempt to sew any item of clothing. However, for some mind-boggling and unknown reason I always seem to try again and again, and so put both me and my sewing machine through more torture!!
At the Jane Austen Festival in September, I bought 5 metres of beautiful cotton from Charlotte Raine, who is a fabulous seamstress and who also runs courses at the Festival. I had initially intended to have it made up into a gown by a professional, but I decided that I was spending way too much money on historical clothing. So in a moment of madness, I made the decision to attempt once again to make a wearable item of clothing. It took quite a few months and a few sewing tips from a very talented family friend, but I have done it!! :) I have actually made a gown that I wouldn't mind being seen in outside the house! Admittedly it isn't perfect but it is wearable!! I am so happy!!! :)
Here it is:
My eyes were closed in this photo, and I looked rather strange, so I cropped it. I am wearing a petticoat and chemisette underneath the gown.
I used the the Drawstring Gown pattern from Sense and Sensibilities Elegant Ladies Closet pattern.
The back. The pattern has the sash as optional, and then I added the trim at the bottom of the gown. I can't wait for re-enactment season to start again so I can wear it to an event!! :) Now all I need is a spencer and bonnet to wear with it. Hmm.... :)