Tuesday 14 March 2017

When Calls the Heart Christmas Special 2016 - Costumes and other historical inaccuracies

So I know Christmas has been over for a while, but the last few months have been a bit hectic so I haven't gotten round to writing a review until now.

Anyone who has read my previous post on the subject of this Hallmark show, knows that I have a bit of a problem when it comes to the serious lack of historical accuracy of the show's costumes. They seem to be getting worse by the second. But for some reason, up until now, I kept watching the show. But after the Christmas special, no more!! This is saying a lot, as I love Christmas and I am a complete sucker for the traditional over cheesy Christmas films that Hallmark bring out every year. But this episode was too much. Along with the awful historical inaccuracies in the clothing/hair/makeup, the thing that got me the most was the Christmas tree lights in Rosemary and Le's house. They live in a small house in a small frontier town in the 1910s, there is no way the town's houses would have had electricity, Or even that one house would have had a generator. All the other lights in their house were gas lit, but the tree lights were definitely electric. I wonder, were they powered by fairy dust?! This, coupled with the quality of the story-line seriously dropping, means that the show is no longer watchable. It is so sad really as the show had so much potential at the beginning. Anyway, onward and upwards to brighter things - did anyone see the fabulous "Hidden Figures" - the clothing in that was amazing. :)


No comments:

Post a Comment