Tuesday 10 December 2013

Jane Austen Festival part 2 - The American Museum

Warning: Very photo heavy post!!! :)

On the Sunday morning after the ball, I decided to go into town and take the free shuttle bus to the American Museum. I had wanted to visit the museum for quite sometime, but every year I had never gotten round to it. This year I decided enough was enough, I was going to go even if it meant walking all the way there. Luckily I found out about the bus, so no need to go on a 10 mile hike! :)
I especially wanted to go that weekend, as the American Civil War Society were holding their annual end of year reenactment at the museum, and I had long wanted to see an ACW reenactment.

The Museum is housed in an old country house (formerly Claverton Manor), and most rooms are decorated in a different historical American style (just like the rooms of the DAR Museum in Washington DC), interspersed with a few exhibition rooms. 

The first room was a reconstructed 18th century tavern


The next room was an exhibition room which contained a few items of clothing

A beautiful victorian dress.

The back. I tried to get a close up of the embroidery but every photo came out blurry!!! :(

So pretty, with a beautifully embroidered train.



A slightly blurry close up of the train. It had little embroidered bees all over it!

The next room was full of chairs from different decades throughout America's history.



I really need to start taking notes when visiting museums, as I can't remember anything about this room, and it isn't in the guide book!

Dolls made by early settlers.


Right, I need to apologise for the majority of the photos you are about to see. Despite my camera claiming to be anti shaking/blurring, most of the photos I took of the rooms came out really blurry! :( . Am hoping Father Christmas might give me a new one. :)

A 17th century Keeping room

c.1740

A slightly blurry candle storage box

c.1763 parlor.

The dome in the ceiling of the building's stairwell.

A regency lady gracing the walls

A parlor c.1770



There was a small exhibition on the tea trade


an early 19th century tea cady.



A late 18th century Drawing Room

I spent a while trying to take a clear photo of the gown from the front, but unfortunately to no avail. :(

An 1830s bedroom

with a lovely white regency gown in it.



A Victorian Shaker's house



Beautiful shawl

Pennsylvania German room

18th century lady - I can't remember which room she graced!!


c. 1830 Greek Revival room.





Bedroom from the civil war era.


After I finished touring the house, I went into the garden to watch the reenactment.

The house from the garden.

It was more of a demonstration than a battle, but it was interesting.

Though I have to admit that I was quite disappointed. One of my favourite parts of reenactment is the living history part, and for some reason there wasn't really a historical campsite at this event. I went all over the grounds looking for it but all I found were a couple of tents with nothing in them :( 

Marching back after the battle.


I would definitely recommend the museum. It was very interesting insight into American social history, and also had an amazing collection of patchwork quilts.

Next: More on the Festival 

1 comment:

  1. I love the Civil War period but since I'm American, I skipped the American Museum. I can see a Civil War reenactment much closer to home. The museum looks lovely though and they let you take pictures, which most historic house museums here don't allow. Check out my blog for reports of some of the places I've been to. http://bluestockingmusings.blogspot.com
    I don't always write them up on my blog but I always take pictures whenever allowed.

    ReplyDelete