Sunday 27 November 2011

Keat's House, Hampstead

I have just got back from spending 3 weeks visiting my sister who lives in Argentina. I had a wonderful time, but getting back I realise how behind I am on my posting!!

I volunteer once a week at a 17th century National Trust house in Hampstead. About 6 weeks ago my father came to visit the house and we then both went to Keat's House, which is very near by. I had been meaning to go for a while (ever since I first saw 'Bright Star' :) ) but I never seemed to have the time.

It is a beautiful white house which was built at the beginning of 19th century (but sadly they didn't use it in the film):

The front 

The back (sadly the weather was not great so the photos are a bit dark)


We were luckily in time for a guided tour which was very well done. We learned so much about Keat's life and the sad love story between him and Fanny Brawne and also Fanny's sad life (not only did she loose Keats, but her brother died of T.B about 5 years later. And then 2 years after that her mother was standing outside the front door one evening holding a candle when a strong gust of wind blew the candle's flame towards her and her gown caught fire - she died of her injuries! So sad). The house has changed quite a bit since Keat's time but our guide was very good at explaining to us how it previously looked.

The kitchen and service rooms could be slightly better presented, but otherwise it is a great museum and definitely worth a visit. :)

Sadly we weren't allowed to take any photos inside :(

1 comment:

  1. How lovely! Thank you for sharing...I love the movie "Bright Star" and couldn't help crying - so sad and yet beautiful!

    Sabine

    ReplyDelete