Sunday 26 February 2012

Regency Style Watches and an Embroidered Handkerchief

I just thought I would show you all some photos of a few 19th century style objects that I have bought/collected and am planning on using at events. At Napoleonic re-enactment events we are not allowed to wear watches. I am not the kind of person who can happily spend a day without a watch or the ability to see some kind of timepiece, so I usually end up hiding my mobile phone in my reticule and occasionally taking quick peeks at it. It is not ideal and certainly not historically accurate!, so I have been looking for a small watch that looks like one that might have been worn by a Regency lady. About a year ago I saw a friend of mine wearing a small fob watch on a necklace. Though modern and from Claire's Accesories, it was just the thing I was looking for, and it reminded me of the one worn by Romla Garai in the 2009 version of Emma. 

I only ended up buying one about 2 months ago. It's not perfect but I like it. :)

The watch face

A couple of weeks ago I had a friend staying who remembered that I wanted a fob watch so had really sweetly had bought me one. She has an amazing memory as I don't even remember telling her I that I wanted one (my memory is awful!)

Anyway here it is:
So now I have 2 :). I think I might try and put this one on a broach so I can pin it onto whatever gown that I am wearing.

The watch face

A slightly blurry photo of the back.


Father Christmas also gave me a lovely little present. A reproduction 19th century handkerchief: 

I love the embroidery on it. :)




No comments:

Post a Comment