Thursday 29 December 2011

Christmas at the 1940s House

In 2001 Channel 4 aired a programme entitled 'The 1940s House'. It was a reality tv show where a family lived in a 1940s style house and tried to live a 1940s life, for 3 months, to see if they could really find out what life was like during WW2.  It was a very interesting programme and I definitely recommend it (you can buy the dvd on Amazon). When the "experiment" ended, all the contents was taken to the Imperial War Museum. As part of the 'Children at War' exhibition, a replica of the 1940s house was built inside the museum and the contents of the original house was placed in the new replica. The exhibition was only meant to be up for a few months, but it was so popular that 10 years have past and it is still there. But sadly the museum have decided to take it down early in the new year. About 3 weeks ago I suddenly realised that I had never been to see the exhibit, so I promptly decided to go.

Well it was fabulous and if you haven't been and are in London during the next 2 days (it is closing on 2nd January) then you should definitely go.  As an added excitement it has been decorated with 1940s style Christmas decorations as a last hurrah.

Well here are a few photos. Sadly my camera was acting up again (it seems to happen more often then not at the moment :( ) so most of the photos are a bit blurry.

The Sitting Room

another view of the Sitting Room

the ceiling decoration in the Sitting Room

Food out for Father Christmas and his reindeer. :) 

There were ropes across the doorways to each room to prevent you from entering them and touching anything. When I was walking round, taking countless photos, a security guard came up to me and mentioned that it was unusual to find someone who was obviously really interested in the exhibit (Really sad if that is true!). After chatting for a while, about the 1940s, he said that, if I wanted to, I could quickly go under the rope across the Sitting Room doorway and that he could take my photo in the room!!!

Here is the photo - a pretty hideous photo of me, but I was so excited to be able to sit on the actual sofa that appeared in the programme. :) Pitty I wasn't wearing 1940s clothes!

The kitchen

Another view of the kitchen.

Ceiling decorations in the Dining Room

The Dining Room

The exterior of the house, all covered in snow :) It was rather hard to take a photo of the outside of the house as it was in a rather tight space. Hence the angle of the photo, making it look like I took it whilst lying on the floor!!

The front of the house

I didn't take any photos of the upstairs rooms as there were quite a few people walking around so I couldn't get any photos of the rooms without anyone in them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment