Saturday 14 May 2011

1940's Night at the Churchill War Rooms

Last night the Churchill War Rooms put on a 40's event as part of the 'Museums at Night' season, so I went along with a friend too see what it was like. I was very excited as I love 40s hairstyles, clothes and music, and there promised to be a band singing 40s songs and a place where you could get a 40s makeover. However, the reality wasn't so good. The event was completely sold out with over 400 people so you could only get your hair or make up done, not both. And for some reason the band only sang for 10 minutes instead of the promised half an hour. But the hair and make-up people were very good at their job and the 40s music was good while it lasted, so it wasn't all bad. The people who did the hair and make-up are this amazing group of women (they call themselves the Vintage Mafia) who dress in 40s clothes/hair/make-up every day!! I can't think of any other way to say what I think about it except that it is SO cool!! :) I wish I had the the guts to dress in period clothing more often then a couple of times a year at events. Oh and I nearly forgot to mention the fabulous gift shop! It is stuffed full of 40s style things - from dvd boxsets of Dad's Army, to radios, teapots, model ships, really pretty cups and saucers (so tempted to buy one but managed to stop myself :) ), and so much more. I bought a cd of The Andrew Sisters. :)

Here are some photos:

The front of the Churchill War Rooms


A side view of my 40s hairstyle (Victory Rolls)

Some of the clothes you could try on

Hats

Another dress (don't think you could try this one on though)

Two of the Vintage Mafia ladies, one dressed as a member of the ATS (she works at the War Rooms)


Mrs Churchill's bedroom (so much nicer and larger then any of the other ones, except Churchill's is larger)

Can't remember what room this is - will call it the multi-coloured phone room. :)

Churchill's Bedroom - I took another photo of the rest of it but my stupid camera was playing up so most of the photos came out really blurry, like I was running while taking them!!


1 comment:

  1. The good thing with 40's & 50's is if you dress up from that era...you don't get as many odd looks as walking through the high street in a crinoline.
    I'm restocking my wardrobe with items that can pass for 40's or modern depending on how its accessorized.

    ReplyDelete